Friday, August 03, 2007

bon swa!

Well another week and a half has passed, and I have again made the trek to the world of connection to the states. I was very grateful to talk to a couple of you last night and hear the awful news about the bridge, but also that those I know and love are OK. My prayers are with y'all though as I know the whole community must be affected.

Haiti is rockin' and rollin'. School has gotten more chaotic as the kids have gotten more comfortable w/ me, but that is both a plus and a minus. I want to share a couple of the kids' bio poems w/ you... something we've been working on the past couple of days. I will not say these were easy to pull out of the kids by any means, but eventually we found about an ounce of focus and they all actually finished. Phew! They all end in their last name, but I've left that out for security purposes... you know how the internet is these days.

Wislande
Who is creature of God
Who liked chocolate a lot
Wh liked dancing a lot
Sister of Jamson, Evans
Who loves Jesus, family, friends, Bijoux that's Lonnie's dog
Who feels content
Who needs God, family, dance
Who gives family much love
Who fears snakes, frogs, lizard
Who would like to see heaven
Who is a resident of Haiti

Mawoule
Who is student
Sister of Sarah
Who loves birds, eating, God
Who feels happy
Who gives dolls
Who needs dolls, gifts
Who fears snakes, crocodiles
Who would like to see Jesus
Who is a resident of Haiti

Those are from my oldest and youngest students, respectively. The oldest had no help, and the youngest had quite a bit, but gives you a little snapshot of the fabulous kids I get to spend this month with =).

We're still having lots of fun around the place. I'm learning to make some Haitian food, Pastor Monoit visited last night, we've been borrowing a TV for the last day so that's provided lots of entertainment. Did some fun watercolor pencil stuff w/ the kids this week, and next week is tie dye. They don't know about it yet, but I'm quite excited myself!

The kids were good enough in school today that I promised them we could do friendship bracelets and necklaces tomorrow. Which means for me inevitably a day of semi-controlled chaos, trying to keep string out of knots, and teaching kids how to make different things while simultaneously trying to make necklaces for the younger kids who just can't figure it out but are happy to hold the string while I make it for them. But really, it's fun =).

Thanks so much for your prayers and thoughts. Haiti needs them. I am living in a great place... well protected, water filter, sheets on the beds. But many many people are not. Water, sanitation, roads, all need to be improved (to say the least). So please keep praying for this place. Much love to all... talk to you in a couple of weeks! (Make plans for me in the cities Aug. 17-21... that's my window of opportunity to see y'all before heading out to PA.)

2 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were just checking in to see how you were doing. You were in our thoughts and prayers. We look forward to seeing you in a few weeks. Stay safe.

Love Natasha ,Karen ,and Harley

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey sis. Greetings from The other side of the world! I was watching the news here in Japan and I picked up some info on Haiti. Actually I just heard them talking about Haiti and something about 8800 people, they looked like peacekeepers. Do you know any more about that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home