Wednesday, March 22, 2006

What (or WHO) is first?

Once in a while I like to try to take a step back from my life and obtain (if possible) a slightly more objective viewpoint than that which comes naturally. While sometimes the "one day at a time" attitude is necessary, I think it also lacks a lot of important perspective. So often I become so used to what my life is right now, I narrow my scope of what can be.

When I hear about communities living together who spend time time in prayer with each other every day, I tend to think "oh, that's great, but I don't have time for that in my life." Now my question is why don't I have time for that? Or why don't I think I have time for that? If that was what was really important to me, I would make time.

Or when I think about spending time overseas, I think about how I really have things scheduled 6 nights a week, and am using my lunch breaks to get stuff done. It would be hard to cancel all that stuff. Poopoo that! I ask myself: what (or WHO) am I really putting first in my life? Sure God, I'll serve you, but I'm going to spend my time going to and doing the things I have planned. You'll use me through those, right? I can set the perimeters, and you can use me within those? Pretty sure I don't serve a God who's going to let me set perimeters, if He has bigger things for my life than I could ever ask or imagine. How can we put limits on an omnipotent God? Can't, or should not, I believe. If I try I'll only be missing out on blessings.

So, I pause a moment, survey the land. If I've walked 500 miles in the wrong direction, I need to be willing to turn around and do it again if that's what's asked of me. Not "well I've come this far, let's just keep doing it my way."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home