Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Love

Well the thought process all started in my small group when we were talking about Song of Solomon. One member had a pretty darn good argument that it has a lot more to do with our relationship with God than we think... so often we talk about it referring mostly to a relationship between humans. I won't go into that discussion, although you can post your thoughts if you want. The point though is that I've been thinking a lot about about what it means to really love God, and let ourselves be loved by God. The following lyrics have been an important part of the thought process for me so I thought I'd share...


He's more than the laughter or the stars in the heavens
As close a heartbeat or a song on our lips
Someday we'll trust Him and learn how to see Him
Someday He'll call us and we will come running
and fall in His arms and the tears will fall down and we'll pray,
I want to fall in love with You
-Jars of Clay "Love song for a Savior"


Because you have loved me, now I can love you too
Your love flows deep into my heart
And I send it back to you
-"Face to Face"... one of my favorite songs, but I've never heard it recorded (I think it's translated from Korean)


Just let me say how much I love You
Let me speak of Your mercy and grace
Just let me live in the shadow of Your beauty
Let me see You face to face
And the earth will shake as Your Word goes forth
And the heavens can tremble and fall
But let me say how much I love You
O my Savior, my Lord and friend

Just let me hear Your finest whispers
As You gently call my name
And let me see Your power and Your glory
Let me feel Your Spirit's flame
Let me find You in the desert
'Til this sand is holy ground
And I am found completely surrendered
To You, my Lord and friend

So let me say how much I love You
With all my heart I long for You
For I am caught in this passion of knowing
This endless love I've found in You
And the depth of grace, the forgiveness found
To be called a child of God
Just makes me say how much I love You
O my Savior, my Lord and friend
-Geoff Bullock

1 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mikhal,

Cordell here...just checking out your wonderful site. Very creative and thoughtful.

"The point though is that I've been thinking a lot about about what it means to really love God, and let ourselves be loved by God..."

Hmmm...what does it mean to really love God. I thought as I read how easy it can be to say "I love you," to someone, but at the same time not actually opening my heart up to love them with my actions instead of words.

Figuring out what it means to love God is a little easier than thinking about what it means to be loved by God. Jesus says (John 14 I think) "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching." Likewise 1 John says "This is love for God: to obey his commands." But I can't off the top of my head think of some similar examples of what it looks like to bask in the everlasting love of God for us. In my few short years in the faith experiencing God's love has come in so many different ways, it's hard to sum it all up in a simple & Scriptural way. It would be neat to hear more thoughts about how you would describe/experience God's love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home